Our experience shows that designs based on actual test data are much more likely to achieve the required performance without being excessively over or under designed. Laboratory testing is usually completed to show compliance with building regulations, to investigate a problem or as part of the design process.
Our highly trained and experienced engineers perform a wide range of noise, vibration, air flow and rain noise measurements in our laboratory.
The layout of our permanent test facility is flexible. This allows us to accommodate a wide range of products and test set-ups. Samples can be readily installed and tested, which gives our clients the opportunity to do several tests in a day, a unique and valuable aspect of our service.
Testing is usually completed to obtain certification, performance data for publications or as the starting point for further design work. We are a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No.0444. Building Control Authorities and Sustainability Assessors prefer that companies doing these tests are independently accredited by this service, and it is a certification that enables our clients to minimise their risk, enhance their reputation in the market place and save considerable amounts of money.
Our purpose built laboratory is accredited for the following test standards:
- BS EN ISO 10140: Parts 1: 2010 – Laboratory Measurement of Sound Insulation of Building Elements (specific elements)
- BS EN ISO 10140: Parts 2: 2010 – Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Insulation of Building Elements
- BS EN ISO 10140: Parts 3: 2010 – Laboratory Measurement of Impact Sound Insulation of Building Elements
- BS EN ISO 10140: Parts 4: 2010 – Laboratory Measurement of Sound Insulation of Building Elements (procedures and requirements)
- BS EN ISO 10140: Parts 5: 2010 – Laboratory Measurement of Sound Insulation of Building Elements (test facilities and equipment)
- BS EN ISO 10848-2:2006 – Ceilings Laboratory Measurement of Flanking Transmission of Airborne Sound between Adjoining Rooms
- BS EN ISO 354:2003 Laboratory Measurement of Sound Absorption Coefficients
- BS 3638:1987 Measurement of Sound Absorption in a Reverberation Room
- BS EN ISO 140-3:1995 Laboratory Measurement of Airborne Sound Insulation
- BS EN ISO 140-6:1998 Laboratory Measurement of Impact Sound Insulation
- BS EN ISO 140-8:1997 Laboratory Measurement of the Reduction of Transmitted Impact Noise
- BS EN ISO 140-18:2006 Laboratory Measurement of Sound Generated by Rainfall on Building Elements (Roofs)
- BS EN ISO 20140-9:1994 Measurement of Sound Insulation in buildings and of building elements (suspended ceilings)
- BS EN ISO 717-1:2013 & BS EN ISO 717-2:2013 Rating of Sound Insulation in Buildings and of Building Elements
We are accredited for on-site pre-completion testing to the following standards under UK Building Regulations:
- Building Regulations 2010, Approved Document E (2003 incorporating 2004 & 2010 amendments) Sound Insulation Tests including Pre-completion testing for Dwellings and Rooms for Residential Purpose (RRP)
- BS EN ISO 140-4:1998 Field Measurement of Airborne Sound Insulation between Rooms
- BS EN ISO 140-7:1998 Field Measurement of Impact Sound Insulation of Floors
Our laboratory is also UKAS accredited for certification testing to the following tests under EU Directives/Regulations:
- Construction Products Regulation (CPR) No. 305/2011
- BS EN 13964:2014 Suspended ceilings – Requirements and test methods
- BS EN 438-7:2005 High-pressure decorative laminates (HPL)
- European Directive 2000/14/EC and its amendment 2005/88/EC Measurement of Airborne Noise Emitted by Outdoor Machines
- ISO 11094:1991 – Acoustics Test code for the measurement of airborne noise emitted by power lawn mowers, lawn tractors, lawn and garden tractors, professional mowers, and lawn and garden tractors with mowing attachments (including ISO 3744:1994)